Baseball was back in full swing on Friday the 13th as all 30 teams kicked off second half action.
Finally, some real games to talk about after a four-day hiatus. Here are some interesting stats from today’s games:
- Recent Boston Red Sox call-up, Pedro Ciriaco, has been tearing the ball up as of late. In the last three games, he’s 10-for-12, with 4 R, 6 RBI, 3 SB, and 2 2B. He’s the hottest player in the league and he’s only played in four games since being called up.
- What Home Run Derby jinx? Players who participated in the Derby hit 14-of-34 today. Mark Trumbo and Andrew McCutchen both homered. The only player without a hit was Jose Bautista.
- Via ESPN Stats/Info: Francisco Liriano induced 30 swing-and-miss strikes in tonight’s game. That’s the most since Johan Santana induced 32 of them in 2007.
- Liriano had 15 strikeouts, which was tied for the second-most in Twins history behind Santana who had 17 in 2007.
- Mark Teixeira hit his 13th two home run game in a Yankees uniform.
- In 14 games with the Chicago White Sox, Kevin Youkilis is hitting .340 with 3 HR, 15 RBI. In 42 games with the Red Sox before the trade, Youkilis had just 4 HR and 14 RBI, while hitting .233. Youkilis has already surpassed the RBI total he had with the Sox.
- Youkilis is also walking more. He walked three times on Friday, upping his walk total to eight in a White Sox uniform. He only had 14 with the Red Sox.
- Since the Youkilis trade, Will Middlebrooks is hitting just .129 with four hits. He also missed seven games due to a hamstring injury.
And on one non-baseball related note, Drew Brees signed a $100 million contract extension today with the New Orleans Saints. In 1985, Tom Benson bought the Saints for $70 million. Brees is worth more than the team was 27 years ago.