- The National League may have won the All-Star Game, but the American League has the better teams. With Toronto’s win today, 11 out of the 14 teams in the American League have a .500 record or better. Kansas City, Seattle, and Minnesota are the only ones that are below the .500 mark.
- Seattle may only have 37 wins, but that’s not Felix Hernandez’s fault. King Felix pitched a complete game shutout against the AL West leading Texas Rangers. He improved to 7-5 with the win, but that record could easily be better if he received some run support. Hernandez has the seventh worst run support in the league. His teammates only get him 4.88 runs per game. In fact, there have been five instances where Hernandez has allowed two runs or less and his team has lost.
- Andrew McCutchen of the Pittsburgh Pirates hit his 20th home run this season. He’s easily on pace for at least 30. The Pirates haven’t had a player hit at least 30 home runs since Jason Bay hit 35 in 2006.
- Home Run Derby hitters continued to collectively hit well, going 10-for-35 today. That’s a .286 average. Robinson Cano and Andrew McCutchen both homered. Carlos Beltran, though, has been struggling mightily. He went 0-for-5 today and is 1-for-9 since the Break.
- Via ESPN Stats/Info: The Baltimore Orioles’ extra inning win tonight was their 10th of the season. They are now 10-2 in extra inning games and 4-0 in games that last at least 13 innings. They have the most extra inning games with 31 in the last three seasons.
- Via ESPN Stats/Info: R.A. Dickey has now made 15 straight starts without a loss.